Tuesday, August 4, 2020

T Tries to Convince C to Keep Watching "Watchmen"

C is a stubborn cuss. Some have even described him as a curmudgeon, but he has told those people to shut their yaps and get the hell off his lawn. The stubbornness often extends to the entertainment world, where his demands for quality do not always coincide with what he is given. Part of that is because, as a fiction writer, he feels that too many people who write both novels and screenplays are lazy, overpaid hacks while he works harder than he probably should to strive for his best. He concedes that he does not always succeed but the effort is put forth.

CST Online | WHO'S WATCHING HBO'S WATCHMEN? by Will Brooker and ...C is also a huge Alan Moore fan, especially when it comes to "Watchmen" the graphic novel. He isn't a Moore fanatic, however, as evidenced by his brusk dismissal of the John Constantine character as a mostly dull, lazily rendered character who only becomes interesting when he's interacting with other DC Comics characters. 

"Watchmen," however, holds a special place in C's heart. It is, in his words, a masterpiece of style, plot, characterization, and understated yet dynamic art. It is also flawed and he agrees with Grant Morrison that there was a better ending Moore should have considered.

C felt the Zack Snyder film was a faithful adaptation that actually improved upon the ending, but it was still a movie made by someone who understood what he read before doing his own thing with it. This brings us to the HBO "Watchmen" series and T's attempt to talk C into not giving up on it after a rather negative reaction to the first episode:

(Beware! There be spoilers here because T can't keep his yap shut!)

C; I'm watching watchmen and I have no idea what the fuck is going on.
T: Just wait. It gets good.
C: I have faith in the series creator
T: I was a little confused at first, then it got good
C:  I couldn't place the time setting at first
T: Yeah I know then they start giving you clues
C: Tell me if I'm right. Rorschach's journal started a movement!
T: Oh yeah. They twisted it.
C: Fuckers stole my idea!
T: 
C: Honestly I'm giving this show one more episode. It probably doesn't help that I don't particularly care for Regina King (An understatement. he thinks she has the range of a drowning puppy)
T: I wasn't wild about her either, but once it gets into the plot
C: (After the first episode has ended) Color me disappointed.
T: It starts slow, but it gets good.
C: this is the first Damon Lindelof show where I wasn't riveted from the first few minutes. I don't think this is his element. Nice to see Lou Gossett though.
T: Man, there is a hidden story you won't believe. Trust me its worth watching

C: Yeah the Gossett is starting to spill portions of it. So if Dr Manhattan is on Mars, isn't this happening before Rorschach and Nite Owl confronted Veidt? But there was a newspaper headline saying Veidt was dead.
T: Thats whats gonna blow your mind when you find out the truth
C: I doubt it will outdo Doomsday Clock
T: The show is nominated for multiple Emmys
C: That's meaningless.  I wipe my ass with Emmys. (He does, too! It's nothing you ever want to bear witness to either!)
T:  Just give it time.
C: I'm giving it another episode. I'm not getting stuck in another Stranger Things trap. (For more on C's views on "Stranger Things, click here and here)
T: They explain Viedt and everything. And when you find out about Dr. Manhattan and what's on Mars. 
C: Honestly I'm not really being made to care.The show is kind of annoying. I don't even like the premise.
T: It's got a mean twist.
C: Meh. Twists are so early 2000s. Just tell a fucking story...now I've lost whatever flow I had.
T: Well Hooded Justice was a Black man in White face under the hood (Young Lou Gossett Jr), he's Regina Kings grandfather and they were reunited by Dr. Manhattan also Viedt was imprisoned escapes to keep his evil clone genius daughter from trying to take Dr. Manhattan's power for herself and Dr. Manhattan is actually Regina Kings husband in hiding
C:

C: The fuck? Why did you just tell me all that? I might as well just return it (to the library) now! I mean that all sounds like really shitty and stupid writing but at least let me experience it on my own.
T: Trust me the rest is worth looking for.
C: I'm taking it back
T: SMH
C: Oh shake THIS, Mr. Judgment! It is boring and annoying.
And clearly written by people who didn't understand the comic.
T: Shame; you don't know what you are missing
C: You are way too accepting of mediocrity my friend
T: You have to watch it to make that statement. LOL
C: I did. 1.25 episodes LOL
Last time I had this conversation, I was guilted by someone into finishing season one of Stranger Things. T: Not enough.
C: That's what she said! She was wrong. So, so wrong.
T: Stranger Things is Millenial garbage. (Send your hate emails to T at hesaidit@gmail.com)
C:
Brian Fontana agrees with me!
T: Well, I'm not the person that recommended Stranger Things to you.
C: No but you have recommended some real turds in your time.
T: We both have LOL
C: I rarely recommend things. I just say whether or not I liked something. I'm used to hating what others love and vice versa I don't even think the show is well made..It looks cheap. But even if your insentivity spoilers aren't the only mysteries, what you told me sounds so goddam dumb. An evil clone daughter did these assholes even know what Alan Moore was doing???
T: It gets good around the 4th show
C: ...





No comments:

Post a Comment

Try to share without being a self-righteous douche.

T Tries to Convince C to Keep Watching "Watchmen"

C is a stubborn cuss. Some have even described him as a curmudgeon, but he has told those people to shut their yaps and get the hell off his...